Tuesday, December 27, 2011

matching pajamas

Friday night, 9:15ish, December 23:
Anna: Mom, did you make Christmas pajamas?
Me: No, it felt a little overwhelming so I decided not to.
Anna: But didn't you say that it's not really that hard?
Me: Well, yes, it's not really that hard, but we have to make 6 pair.
Anna: Oh. [pause] Where's the pattern?
So I tell her where the pattern is and which fabric I intended to use and she disappears. My mind is 100 other places. Anna comes back to my room with everything to make 6 pair of pajamas.
Anna: Do you think we can make pajamas tomorrow?
Me: [Sigh] Sure. It'll be a fair amount of work, but we can probably do it.
Anna goes to bed happy, I go to bed hoping she forgets about the pajamas.

Saturday morning, 9:15ish, December 24:
I start cutting fabric, Anna reads the instructions, and starts sewing the inside seams. Jane helps put elastic in the waistbands, Lincoln carries around scraps of fabric. Mid-afternoon we finish. I'm very proud of Anna. She stuck with the project the entire day.

Saturday night, 9:15ish, Christmas Eve:
We set out cookies and eggnog for Santa (and carrots for the reindeer). We chitter chatter by the Christmas tree in 4 pair of matching monster jammies and 2 pair of matching orange with pink dot jammies.

1 comment:

Jessica said...

That sounds so much like something Emily would do! I love their determination! She is working hard on planning out some kid kamp right now and I'm wondering when and how i'm going to have the energy to let her do it.